Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bit And Pieces... BSG, Sightings, Etc.

Wow, an entire week since my last post. Where does the time go? I've been in serious hunker-down mode, so I'm afraid your party-gossip will have to come from elsewhere. Meanwhile...

After all the wrap parties and set-selling, I am somewhat sad to report that the adventure that is the current incarnation of Battlestar Galactica comes to a real close next week with the wrap of "The Plan", the BSG "movie" project directed by Edward James Olmos and ably written and produced by Jane Espensen. I understand things have been going well in the rainy Northwest and look forward to the end product with the same nail-biting anticipation as the rest of the BSG-lovin' world.

Meanwhile, I pinch-hit for Jane during the final mix of her last-half-season-four episode, so I got to visit with the crack post and sound guys one more time. As always, it's a blast to see the episodes on the big screen and hear them in Dolby 8.9 or whatever the heck they're using these days. At the same time, I am eagerly anticipating getting a sneak peek at the cuts of the final episodes. I have, of course, kept up on the script(s), but actually seeing how it comes together is always the big thrill.

Next Monday, of course, another big episode of NBC's HEROES. The heroics and intrigue continues in the uber-Villians arc. 9:00PM! Monday! NBC!

In other, perhaps stranger news, HEY! Apparently I'm really powerful! The British magazine Tripwire, in their 2008 annual, lists their picks for the "25 Comics Power List", and somehow I landed at #11. One notch above Frank Miller. One spot under director Christopher Nolan. From #1 down, their 2008 Comics Power List:

Kevin Feige & David Maisel
Jon Favreau
Guillermo Del Toro
George Lucas
Matt Groening/David X Cohen
Mike Mignola
JJ Abrams
Tim Kring
Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
Christopher Nolan
Mark Verheiden
Frank Miller
Joss Whedon
Steve Geppi
Joe Quesada
Eric Stephenson
Alan Moore
Dan Didio
Chris Ware
Joann Sfar
Clamp
Genndy Tartakovsky
Alison Bechdel
Gilbert Shelton
and, at #25, Tom Spurgeon

Well, at least I beat out "Clamp." I'm not really sure what to say about this (especially since I haven't seen the magazine, so I have no idea how these listings were justified), but... well, maybe I'll just leave it at "interesting?"

Finally, in the celebrity sightings category (not a category, actually, I think this is the first time I've actually done this!), I was driving down the street in Santa Monica Friday morning and who should ride up on my bumper but Mr. Sam Raimi. I felt kind of sorry for the guy, since he did not make Tripwire's list this year. Maybe next time, pal. Guess those Spider-Man movies are so fegeddaboutit...