Friday, December 05, 2008

Huffington Post Huffs BRUCE!!

Sick of reviews yet? Too bad, 'cause I'm not!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-mendelson/review-my-name-is-bruce-2_b_148416.html

MONEY QUOTE:

Since I've never met the man, I cannot say if this jack-ass loser version of Bruce Campbell is accurate, but I'm guessing that it's an approximation of what he fears that he has become on his lowest days (stuck making the zero-budget Cave Alien 2, he hits on the leading lady, yells at his fans, and pushes a wheel-chair bound man into traffic). But Campbell has plenty of fun aping his screen persona and his life as a z-movie god. None of the remaining cast really stands out, but none of them particularly hinder the project either. The obvious lack of production values are actually a plus in a film like this, as the cheap special effects capture the goofy charm of a 1950s sci-fi adventure. There is no real plausibility to the proceedings, but I'll assume that wasn't the point (is there really any reason for young Jeff or eventually the townspeople to think that Bruce could help them?).