Monday, July 02, 2007

So You Wanna Be A Writer...

The fine folks at the San Diego Comicon asked if I'd be up for a seminar-ish sort of session on the wonderful world of writing, and fool-heartedly, I agreed. The session is scheduled for 11:30AM on Thursday 7/26...

I've done this sort of thing before, but this time I want to try something a little different. Rather than pontificate on topics that intrigue me (Fletcher Hanks? Elvis Costello? SEP/IRAs?), I want this session to address your writing questions and concerns.

So, umm -- what are they? Do you want tips on how to get a job in television? Are you curious what a BATTLESTAR outline looks like? Want a rundown on the process involved in taking a TV script from idea to production to what finally goes on air? Are you curious about agents? Managers? Want to discuss the typical structure of a TV episode VS a feature? We can talk comics, too. Would you like to see samples of comic scripts, TV scripts, movie scripts?

Or rather than nuts and bolts, do you want to talk about scene construction? How to develop a story? "Where do you get your ideas?"

Pick your poison!

So talk to me. I'll publish the best suggestions in comments and take your thoughts into account when facing the music down San Diego way...

ADDED 7/7 -- thanks for the suggestions, both in comments and via e-mail!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well now I'm a bit bummed that I decided I was ok with flying in Thursday afternoon. If I were going to be there, I'd be curious to see the rundown on the process with an example. Like showing how the teaser evolves over the entire process? (I pick the teaser just because it seems like a small enough piece to show during a panel.)

Given how the crossover between TV and comics these days, it'd also be interesting to hear about the typical structure of a TV episode VS a comic.

Emily Blake said...

I think one of the biggest questions with a show like Battlestar is HOW to write the spec. The story changes and it's not really built around standalones. So how would you focus a spec when the relationships change from episode to episode?

Anonymous said...

Aargh, I don't get in until 1pm. Damnit!