Thursday, April 12, 2007

On Pete Best and Old Acquaintances...

Caught the following on my buddy John's BEATLES site...

"I see that Pete Best has said he wants to meet with Paul, bury the hatchet and talk about old times. I always thought it was odd that the Beatles never had any contact with Pete after they sacked him (they did run into him backstage at a gig or two right after, but no words were exchanged)."

Having worked in an industry where writers can be replaced without cause (often without notice), I know how I'd feel if I'd been sacked from the Beatles. So I think I can see why Paul hasn't been exactly been rushing for a sitdown with his former drummer. I mean, what would be the conversation? Pete: "You know, before you FIRED ME, we sure were having a great time." Paul: "Well, yeah, but hey, wasn't Hamburg fun?" Pete: "Oh yeah, playing that rat-hole was a thrill, but I'm sure it was nothing like playing Ed Sullivan and all those other amazing gigs!" Paul: "Oh, well, it wasn't all peaches and cream you know." Pete: "Sure! Fending off thousands of screaming girls, making millions, enjoying the adulation of an entire generation, it must have been hell, SIR Paul, hell on Earth!" Imagine the frozen smile on Macca's face as he checks his watch, wondering why he even scheduled twenty minutes for this inquisition...

Of course, it's possible that Pete's far more emotionally mature than yours truly and he's totally over the firing, blissful and sanguine with the way his life turned out. I mean, he WAS a member of the Beatles, albeit for a short time, and that's something. If true, if Pete's really made peace with all that, then I suggest he missed his true calling as an anger management counselor...

No comments: