Monday, April 16, 2007

Bands I Like: The Rubinoos!

They had a modest hit in the late 70's with a cover of "I Think We're Alone Now", and not much after that, but the Rubinoos are still one of the better power pop outfits still playing. Albeit with one of the sillier names. I'm pretty sure I saw them open for Elvis Costello during their '70's heyday, but the ol' memory gets hazy after all these years.

All I really know is, they keep banging out great tunes. "Crimes Against Music" is a recent, great collection of cover songs, great because they cover the sort of songs I'd probably choose in a similar situation. So we get Rubinoos/power pop versions of "Little Willy" by Sweet, "Pump It Up" by Costello, "Brandy" by the Looking Glass, and many more. They also recently released a live album, "Live In Japan", that's equally great. Check them out on Amazon, all their CDs are worth a listen!

No comments: