Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Why I Don't Like Herman Cain

Mr. Cain has had a rough few days with the drip-drip-drip of sexual harassment allegations, but that's not why I really don't like this guy (though it sure doesn't help!). He's also demonstrated an understanding of foreign policy that makes "Sarah Palin look like Averell Harriman" (Chris Matthews of "Hardball" attributes this quote to MSNBC host Joe Scarborough), but while that's clearly a dis-qualifier, it's also not the reason I really can't stand him. No, it's quotes like this re: "Obamacare" that tick me off:

"My chances of survival when I went through cancer treatment was 30 percent," he said. "Three, zero! Thirty percent! If a bureaucrat had to make a decision on the likelihood of that would work, what do you think the bureaucrat would have said? Don't waste the money!"

I hate that because it's unadulterated bullshit. I hate it because it transfers the truth about the current American insurance system, where care IS often parceled out according to the whims and dictates of mega-insurance companies, to a Government program that (so far) has enabled me to continue to insure my college age son on my current insurance policy and dares to prevent private insurers from discriminating against customers for having prior conditions.

How trying to deliver health care to more people in a fairer way has become a conservative bugaboo worthy of derision is really one of the most tragic turns I've seen in American politics. There are plenty of villains out there, but shame on Herman Cain for lying about it in such a transparent manner, and shame on all the people applauding this fraud for his nonsense.

No comments: