Sunday, February 04, 2007

Wonder Woman, Whedon, "Intrigue."

According to Joss Whedon himself, he's officially off the WONDER WOMAN project at Warner Bros. And according to an article at...

http://icv2.com/articles/home/10016.html

...Warners has premptively picked up a Wonder Woman "spec script", ostensibly to ward off possible legal action. Have to admit, that piece of the puzzle leaves me baffled. Warner Bros./DC Comics OWNS Wonder Woman, so if anyone was trespassing on someone's rights, it was the guys who wrote the spec. So I suspect there's more going on than meets the eye, like someone actually liked the spec take and figured, what the hell, it might kick-start a new push. But with no inside info whatsoever, I'm just guessing like everyone else...

But it wouldn't be the first time I've heard of something like this going down. A writer named Peter Briggs wrote a spec ALIEN VS PREDATOR script way back when Fox was first mulling the crossover (early/mid '90s), and the studio wound up buying that script. The spec was eventually tossed, along with several other takes, when Paul Anderson did his writer/director thing. But I'm sure the check for the spec still cleared...

And in a final piece of Kevin Bacon-ism, Anderson went and named one of the characters in the first AVP movie after... me! (I die, so don't expect to see me in any sequels...) Even though I never actually wrote an ALIEN VS PREDATOR comic book, I did write the first three ALIENS arcs and the three PREDATOR series for Dark Horse. And to be honest, I was flattered by the name check, if only to hear people screaming "Verheiden!! Verheiden!!!!" on the big screen.

2 comments:

Deckle said...

Joss got screwed!

http://www.bruce-campbell.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

You know... I was rummaging round the house a few days ago and bumped into a box of old comic books. Found a couple of issues of Predator: Cold War. *groan* No wonder Anderson wanted to off you in AvP. Don't get me wrong, you've written plenty of good stuff, but Cold War was just awful.