Thursday, April 19, 2012

Seagalogy Redux

I'm pretty sure I reviewed this book once before, but damned if I'm going to scroll through 1000+ posts to check. Besides, this is a brand new 2012 edition that catches up to the amazing Steven Seagal's most recent work. Writer Vern (that's it, just Vern) has a knack for finding the absurdity in Seagal's movies while simultaneously expressing genuine enthusiasm for the actor's singular appeal. I'm not usually a fan of books with lengthy recaps of movies that can be streamed for next to nothing, but these recaps are genuinely additive to the viewing experience. In fact, having many of the direct-to-video movies that Vern's reviewing, I can report that his reviews are generally infinitely more entertaining than the root source. And so compelling that one actually sent me scurrying to my DVD pile to scan through "Out For Justice", Vern's all time fave Seagal film and one of mine as well. Seagal's erratic trajectory in the movie is a marvel, and the fight scenes are among his best. Vern made me remember and for that, I doff my cap!

No comments: