Friday, January 16, 2009

Decisions, Decisions...

Writing is by definition a series of decisions, thousands and thousands of incremental choices that eventually end up being a story/script/novel. It's all very subjective, which is both the fun and the hell of this racket. What I find funny will leave some stone-faced, what others find interesting I might find tedious, etc., etc. But ultimately, it's about making enough right choices along the way that the eventual story "works."

So while I generally eschew politics in this blog, I must admit I was intrigued by President Bush's closing statement in his farewell address, that while people may disagree with his decisions, he hopes they appreciate that he was willing to make them. Call me a cynic, but isn't that setting the bar kind of low? It certainly wouldn't fly in my business... "what? You don't like the script? Well, can't you at least appreciate that I was willing to MAKE these bad choices?" The answer is generally an emphatic NO...