Friday, December 06, 2019

Original Art Friday! 12/6/19 RUSS HEATH

Well, it is once again the day before the last day of the week... one more day to work and toil, one more day to work-avoid, and the one day of the week when I celebrate ORIGINAL ART FRIDAY, my messianic quest to share some of the comic book art I've accumulated over the decades...

Some of you may be wondering, "gosh, Mark, how do you decide which piece of art to share every week?" Well, I utilize a carefully created logarithm that calculates various factors, all designed to help guide me toward the very deliberate selection of a new artwork. Or, to put it in layman's terms, it's totally by whim.

And my whim today is to share another piece by the amazing RUSS HEATH. Long time OAF readers know I'm an unapologetic fan of the late Mr. Heath, and short time readers will learn that truth soon enough!

Anyhow, here we have a black and white ink-wash cover recreation (I think, I can't identify the original cover) that shows Heath's genius at staging, lighting, figure drawing and drama. I could look at this for hours and indeed, I have, since that's easier than working! Heath's lengthy career spanned the early 1940's into the 2000s, and he drew every conceivable genre, though his greatest work (for me) was his war and Western illustration. That said, he also did superguys, ranging from Batman to Iron Fist, and a few exceptionally funny comic stories for National Lampoon... some of which I'll have to share soon as well!

Meanwhile, lean back and enjoy this monochromatic masterpiece while I unfortunately, and this time for reals, get back to work...

No comments: