Monday, September 12, 2011

My Anthony Perkins Story

Actor Anthony Perkins, best known for playing Norman Bates in Psycho, died this day in 1992. He was a fine actor, rather unfairly typecast after Psycho, but better to be known for something than nothing...

I literally bumped into Perkins once, sometime in the mid-80's outside the Golden Apple comic book shop (back when it was on Melrose Blvd. near the old Aron's Records). Perkins was coming out of the store as I was heading in. I of course recognized him, but not as violently as another guy coming down the street, who did a double take and walked head first into a light post. There was a modest "clang" from his noggin making contact. Perkins looked at him a moment, then shrugged at me and carried on. I'm guessing this wasn't the first time he'd experienced this sort of reaction, nor would it be the last...

I didn't say it was a particularly INTERESTING story...

No comments: