Tuesday, March 19, 2013

On Vinyl...

A veteran record (as in vinyl records) collector finally gives up the ghost...

http://www.avclub.com/articles/has-the-vinyl-revival-gone-too-far,93610/

I dumped most of my vinyl collection -- at least 2 or 3 thousand discs -- five or six years ago.  Lack of space X convenience of CDs + cost of storage room to house all that stuff = bye bye.  I did keep most of my singles and a few of my fave platters, but otherwise my collection is hopefully entertaining the swingin' hipsters who found them in Amoeba L.A.'s used-vinyl area...

Where I would disagree with the writer is his comment about not finding much difference between an MP3 and a vinyl record.  After too many concerts and lengthy drives with the car system cranked to 11, my hearing ain't what it used to be, but I can still tell the difference between a thin, tinny MP3 and, well, non-MP3 playbacks.  What worries me (and worries audiophiles way more) is that an entire generation has grown up with the thin MP3 sound and have become culturally adjusted to that  sound quality.  The fat bass and richer horns and deeper vocals that come from a fully realized recording may actually be negatives for those folks...

BTW, I still buy a (very few) vinyl records, but less for the record than the graphics. One thing we have lost in our i-tunes/spotify/whatever else age are the amazing covers and liner notes that graced many seminal LPs.  Strictly as art, there are some mighty impressive pieces out there.  As music, I'm happy with the CD or lossless version...    

No comments: