Friday, June 26, 2009

What's New...

I'm still in hunker-down writing mode, but I occasionally come up for air (like a mole peeking out of his hole) and here's what I've dragged back to my undisclosed location recently...

NEW SPINAL TAP... "Back From The Dead." For reasons only the great ones understand, the Spinal Tap folks have re-recorded their first album with some new (and some familiar) arrangements, tossed in a couple of jazz improvs and a few new tracks, and sent it out in a cool CD jacket with pop-up dolls of the band. I like it, but I'm not tossing the original CD out. Of course I don't toss ANYTHING out...

NEW (old) REM... "Reckoning." Their second album has been given the ultra-deluxe edition treatment, which basically means a live show circa the era has been included. Being an old geez, I like their old stuff more than their new stuff so this is welcome...

NEW (old) FRIDAY THE 13th PART III in 3-D. Just out on Blu-Ray, it's not exactly classic cinema (in fact it's probably one of the least interesting Fridays, and we're not talking about a high bar in the first place), but the 3-D actually seems to work, more or less, on a larger screen.

NEW (old) DR. STRANGELOVE on Blu-Ray. Brilliant movie, and this is an exquisite transfer. I love wide-screen black and white. General Ripper's glint never looked more demonic...