Wednesday, March 18, 2009

This is the End... Battlestar Galactica Style...

The cast and crew and extended family will be gathering at an undisclosed location Friday to watch the final episode together and commiserate, discuss, laugh and probably cry a little over the last act of our little drama. I've been buried with work the last few weeks (a good thing!) but it's been fun dragging myself out of the house for all the screenings and get-togethers over the past couple of months. Hollywood and screenwriting can be a pretty cynical business, but I have frequent "pinch me" moments these days, because I've been awfully fortunate in my so-called career. And Battlestar Galactica is definitely a high point.

Sometimes people ask me, what was my favorite script or produced piece of work? My stock answer has always been "the next one", and that's still mostly true -- I'm hopeful that my best work is still in front of me. But jeez, BSG set a pretty high bar. The freedom to deal with the world around us in a science fiction setting was intoxicating and liberating and all that other good stuff, and even better, the people involved were all great.

I'll probably have more to say after the screening, but for now, sit back and enjoy the last episode and hoist one (or two or three) for Galactica!