Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Big Earthquake Hits L.A. and... and...

...I didn't even feel it. Thank goodness. I don't like these shakers. Worst one for me was 1988, when a fault gave way near Whittier, which at that time happened to be very close to my house. It wasn't a really big quake, but when you're standing right on top of it (figuratively speaking), it sure FEELS big. By coincidence, workmen were running heavy machinery in front of my house that morning, and at first I was sure one of the machines had gone out of control and rammed into the front room. (Another produced a pretty good jolt in 1991, but for whatever reason wasn't quite a forceful as the '88 temblor.)

The other biggie was in 1994. Aside from sending some dishes to the floor and then the trash, this quake dropped part of the I-10 freeway near Santa Monica, one over which I had passed just a few hours earlier after attending a screening of Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2. (Great movie, by the way, the original is way better than the recut U.S. version).

Ahh, memories...