Monday, November 19, 2007

WGA Strike - Days 13, 14 & 15

I can post at 6:00AM on day 15 because I'm away from my picketing post as well as the State of California, dealing with family business and medical emergencies. And also because, with negotiations looming next week, there really isn't a lot to say. I doff my chapeau to my friends on the line today and tomorrow, and, honestly, wish I could be there as opposed to dealing with these other travails.

It's becoming almost a strike cliche to say this, but I've met more writers in the last two weeks than I have in my entire 20 year career, and if there is any silver lining to an otherwise extremely unfortunate situation (nobody likes being out of work, and nobody likes putting anyone else out of work), it's been that. There's nothing like walking in circles in a bright red shirt at 6:00 in the morning to bring people together.

In other, free associative news, I think I forgot how difficult it can be traveling around the holidays. Difficult, of course, is relative, but massive lines and traffic jams definitely = consternation. I'm beginning to think they should stagger holidays, last names A-M get Thankgiving on the second Thursday in November, names from N-Z get the third Thursday. Might be a little complicated with larger families, but that's a small price to pay.

No comments: